Friday, November 14, 2014

The Ruminations-Luggage Store Gallery, SF CA; 11/13/14

Due to aggravating traffic conditions both on the approach to SF and within the City, I showed up for this gig pretty spazzed out and rattled. I told new Ruminations members, guitarist Jakob Pek and violinist Gabby Fluke-Mogul that I'd play mellow, but that concept flew out the window and onto Market St. faster than you can say "new IPO". Don't get me wrong, there were times when I chilled it and let everyone else lead, but I definitely felt a kind of "take control" energy come over myself at times. Thankfully, Rent pretty much encourages that attitude, and I'm grateful to him and Christina Stanley for putting up with it. It was tough to her Jakob's guitar at times, sadly.
I also added a new twist to my improvisational techniques, in that I brought some graphic scores that I've been working on, for use if and when the ideas started to dry up. They ended up being ignored, as I found plenty of fuel from Rent, Christina, Gabby, and Jakob.
Needless to say, I had a blast with the Ruminations, new lineup and all! Eat the Sun were phenomenal. Jason Hoopes is clearly a rising star in the bass world.

Below: the horns of Rent Romus, and Christina Stanley in silver and gold light
Above: Cloud Kit, Ruminations-style
Below: Graphic scores for "just in case" reference



No comments:

Post a Comment