Sunday, January 24, 2021

Ovi-poster

 

A neat little poster from a show at Kimo's in SF, spring 2006. The baby is by then former Ovipositor bass player Matt Carter's newborn son. I don't recall if Laurin Askew played bass with us yet. 

Kimo's was a cool, funky little dive bar on Polk St. that had an upstairs performance space. I figure that there were a lot of drag shows there, as that area was, along with SOMA and Castro District, a welcoming one for gay culture in the City. It had a small stage, a nice dance floor, and a beat up, but fun, vibe. I recall playing there a few times over the years. Last time I drove past its former space, it looked as though it'd been transformed into some kind of eatery. Everything changes.

We became friends with the members of Chords Are Dead, and played some more shows with them. I definitely felt like an "old dude" to them. I was 36, they were all in their early to mid 20's. Last time that I heard about them, they had started playing again after a long hiatus. 

Telomere Repair, from San Pedro, were intense, and I recall them getting into an argument during their set. I still have their CD, and I still like it. 

Graphic design and screen print by Colin Frangos.

No comments:

Post a Comment