Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lounge Daze

In mid-2007, Laurin Askew left Ovipositor. Colin and I had already decided to take our time finding a new bass player. Still, I wanted to keep up a rigorous pace of drum playing.
After searching through craigslist for a few days, I found an ad, "Lounge Drummer Wanted". I'd never played drums in a lounge band, but was familiar with the Lounge/Exotica music of artists like Les Baxter, Yma Sumac, Martin Denny, etc. I figured it would be a nice change from the skewed sounds of Ovipositor.
This trio, dubbed Champagne Weekend by singer Anne-Marie Russo, lasted only a few months. We played tunes by Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra and the amazing Italian chanteuse Mina for the most part. It was fun, but I got bored with it pretty quickly. That said, I wish the guitar player, Frank, had accepted my offer of purchase for that amazing cocktail drum kit!

No comments:

Post a Comment