Thursday, September 3, 2015

Earspray-Studio Grand, Oakland CA; 9/2/15

Right off the bat, I was saddened to read about the passing of Studio Grand founder Holly Schneider earlier this year. It seems as though the space will continue, using her life's work as a model, which is great for artists, dancers, musicians, and poets in Oakland and beyond. Thanks, Holly.
Earspray's set was a particularly fun one for me. We got really noisy and out of control! Our set seemed to have a really manic energy, and Ann, Carlos, and myself seemed to be pushing the sound to the brink of madness. I'm not sure how the audience felt, but I sure had fun!
As per usual in recent Earspray shows, I used the Waterphone, scraped and banged, along with several metallic rods that I'd recently re-purposed from some old, found furniture. Additionally, I played some recorder.
Carlos enjoyed playing his primitive circuit bent Casio, along with a few other devices, and Ann pounded on a mic'ed cymbal and sang, along with doing her increasingly adept video work.
Things are gelling in Earspray land!

Below: full band shot and gear

Many thanks to Fernando and Oakland Freedom Jazz Society, along with Bill and Splendor Generator!


No comments:

Post a Comment