Saturday, December 3, 2016

Ornithos Loom-VAMP Music Art; Oakland CA, 12/2/16

Sort of a last minute gig last night for this new group, featuring Joe Noble, Andrew Joron, and me. Fernando from VAMP hit me with a message and asked if I could pull something together for December's First Friday event in Oakland. Ornithos Loom has been jamming sporadically, for the past six months or so, and I figured it would be a good opportunity to try to play in public.
After a really great set from guitarist Tristan Norton, we set out and played a roughly thirty minute one, comprised of one longer piece and one shorter. The former had some really fired up soprano and alto riffing from Joe. I got a short solo in, which Andrew described as "...sounding composed..." Right on! I added a small, metallic wrench, given to me by Moe! Staiano with a "see if you can use this" type of suggestion. Got some cool sounds from it during that solo. At least, that's how it felt to me, anyway. The latter piece was somewhat marred by a talkative person: Joe was attempting to play very quietly on his flute, but the talking person's voice ran roughshod over his sound. Ah well, you can't really control that type of thing, unless you're Charles Mingus or Keith Jarrett I guess.
All told, it was a fun, mellow night, and a good start for Ornithos Loom. Hopefully we'll be playing out more in the future. Please check out our first Bandcamp release, linked at the bottom of this post!

Below: Tristan Norton lays down the vibes





Above: Joe and Andrew peruse the vinyl at VAMP; my kit (wrench not included)





No comments:

Post a Comment