Monday, February 27, 2017

Crow Crash Radio-KFJC, Los Altos Hills; 2/26/17

It's kind of interesting that the only live gigs that I've had so far in 2017 have been live radio shows. That's going to change really soon; still, I'm grateful for stations like KFJC and its "Live In the Pit" series.
Presumably, so too were Andrew and Brian, the other two thirds of Crow Crash Radio. Our set was arranged as a publicity appearance to drum up support for the coming weekend's Hardly Strictly Personal Next Now Festival. Mika Pontecorvo graciously sent us down to Los Altos Hills to play and talk about the show.
After a meticulous set up by the great, friendly, and very supportive engineering staff, we did two 45 minute sets with a promo talk, headed up by DJ the Naysayer, placed in between them.
During our rehearsal for the appearance, we spoke a lot about pacing, and keeping the tempos chilled enough to allow for our songs to expand and have effect. I feel like we stuck well to that concept as we played. On the drive home, Andrew suggested that there were some speed ups. Hopefully, they fit the moods that had already been established!
As for me, I was really happy with our sets.  I enjoyed playing my old beat up Ludwig drums and two riveted cymbals. One of the latter, I've now had since 1990. It's beat to shit, cracked, moldy even, but I love its sound and the memories it evokes. Ugly beauty for sure!
It seemed like we had a really good, swinging energy with some crackle during the swifter pieces and plenty of sludge during the more willfully slow ones. We stretched way out when we wanted to, kept things concise when that was called for. Everything just gelled really nicely, I'd say.
Hopefully some people listened to and enjoyed Crow Crash Radio's sounds as they went out over the airwaves and the 'net! Also, I hope that we convinced some people to attend Hardly Strictly Personal this weekend! Details on that soon.


Above: funky old Ludwig kit with riveted cymbals; Brian tunes up
Below: Crow Crash Radio in action at the Pit; dig on all of that vinyl. Photo by the Naysayer. Thanks, FB!

No comments:

Post a Comment