Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Pure Finder-UBRadio Salon #487

After a fun day of hiking with family for Mother's Day, I found myself back at Chakra Chimp Research Kitchens of California Land for Pure Finder's UBRadio Salon debut. It had been some time since I'd hung out with Ninah and Das in their incredible studio: needless to say there had been great anticipation for it.
As per usual, Pure Finder did two sets, live and raw and accompanied by our hosts. The consensus seemed to be that the first set was a bit scattered and that we all gelled during the second. As for me, I really liked both. Andrew and I exchanged texts of personal memories to be read. These passages seemed to provide central focuses for each of the two.
During the first I also had fun getting re-acquainted with my ratty circuit bent Casio keyboard and UB's extensive cowbell collection, which was scraped and hit. Perhaps I hogged the space a bit with these tones? Crimony! Towards the end of this one, I got crazy scraping a chair across the concrete floor for a raw drone. It felt like a Bright Moment to me.
The second set continued with the drone feel, with all four of the assembled sound technicians locking in to each others' sounds pretty adeptly. It was during this one that Andrew read my text, a memory from long ago that's haunted me. It felt sort of liberating to have that out in the world. Thanks, man. I tried to use my old tal box, but its batteries were futzed; it emanated some cool drones in its worn out condition, though. These were paired with water-less waterphone on my end. This all felt good, paired with a bit of red wine and loose vibes of a lovely spring day.
It's always a blast to send out signals from UB on DFM!

Below: Andrew, Ninah, and Das
Below: audio at Archive.org


Below: my gear for the show
Hopefully Pure Finder will spend more time with UB in the future. Stay tuned for gig and release news later this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment