Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Dead City Shaman (-1) Chakra Chimp Research Kitchens, Alameda, CA; 12/16/18

Minus one because, sadly, Jack Hertz got caught in some terrible San Francisco mid-rain storm traffic and was not able to make it over to dAS and Ninah's studio for our Dead City Shaman set. Such a bummer! The three of us soldiered on, and I was plenty pleased with our two sets.
The first set featured a great, long loop from Ninah, as well as her flutes, trance harmonium from dAS, and me tweaking out on a digital delay pedal that was hooked into a contact mic and placed on my roto toms. In all of my years of playing, I've never really used that sort of set up. I went kind of crazy on it. Just really enjoyed those repeated sounds. We got into what felt like some really cool British-style Industrial areas, with a lot of electronic buzzing and waterphone percussion as well. That was all totally fine with me. A good mixture, for sure.
After a break, our second set lead off with bowed waterphone solo. At some point Ninah and dAS joined in and we got a really delicious mixture of squirrelly electronic sounds and rolling roto tom rhythms. This part of the evening lead to some really fine, shamanic feelings if I do say so. I felt pretty ecstatic, anyway.
Things went by so fast at Chakra Chimp Research Kitchens, as they always seem to. Such a fine way to the end the year's performances. I just wish that Jack could have made it across the Bay Bridge. Stay tuned for a re-do this coming Spring.
Happy Holidays everyone.

Below: dAS and Ninah doing their things; my gear (with raincoat, it was pouring)
Above: I forgot to mention that dAS got out the gongs. Yes, I was a happy camper.
Below: UB Radio Salon #570 audio at Archive.org:



No comments:

Post a Comment