Saturday, March 12, 2016

Failure Cock-Noisebridge Hacker Space, SF CA; 3/12/16

One thing's for certain: Failure Cock's willful lack of subtlety worked to our advantage today at Noisebridge Hacker Space. Some of the other bands on the bill, ones with more quiet feels worked into their sounds, had to deal with a guy that decided to work on framing his new space while they played. It was a bummer to have to see long time musical innovator Tom Nunn and his compadre Paul Winstanley have to fight with the sound of this dude's hammering. Just sayin'.
We certainly did not have that issue to deal with. Our set was LOUD and NOISY. I played a continuous roll on two suspended cymbals, sometimes punctuating with hits on a big floor tom and snare drum. Scarp stuck to coaxing high pitched scrawl out of a shop vac. New Failure Cock member Eli Pontecorvo blasted away on his specially strung six string electric bass, pumped through a very large cabinet. All of these approaches were based on a painting that I've used before, with ebolabuddha. Its three elements, black, circles, and thick lines, were assigned to each player in our newly minted trio. Eli was the black, Scarp the circles, and me the straight lines. It felt glorious to me, and I had a blast sweating my way through about fifteen minutes of continuous pound.
As usual, I like Failure Cock to be loud and obnoxious. Does anyone enjoy it? I don't know! I do know that Scarp and I are really happy to have Eli on board.

Below: Failure Cock drums, and painting







Above: Failure Cock live shots, courtesy of Sandra Home. Thanks, Sandra!

No comments:

Post a Comment