Saturday, August 27, 2016

Failure Cock-Backyard Coffee, Redwood City CA; 8/27/16

I didn't do a preview for this show, mostly because it was so last minute.
Eli asked Scarp and I if Failure Cock would play the late slow for a benefit of some sort. Naturally we agreed, and headed down to Redwood City from points north.
I had originally planned to play the drum set along with Scarp and Eli's looped guitar and bass sounds, but when I saw the back line that had been pretty clear beat up all day, my enthusiasm for that swiftly left. I decided instead to focus on playing simple beats, along with everyone else in the band, on a large stand up bass drum that I'd asked Scarp to bring. Additionally, I set up a bunch of folding metal chairs in front of the stage, and grabbed several mallets from my car: we would play the metal chairs!
Our set started with loops, and then bass drum beats, after which Eli and I switched to chairs. The sound felt very Plains Indian, I guess, very quarter note pulsed and possibly a bit early Industrial. A few stragglers that remained danced around, and that made things fun for me. We blasted through a quick fifteen minute noisy jam of a set, and then stopped.
A fun last minute gig. As Scarp said, "...I love Redwood City!"

Below: Chairs, Eli starting the jam, and Scarp setting up


Above: the communal bass drum




No comments:

Post a Comment