Thursday, September 28, 2017

M-KAT Ensemble-The Bindery, SF CA; 9/27/17

The above picture seems to me to be a pretty good representation of the weather in SF as Andrew J. and I pulled up into the Haight for M-KAT Ensemble's Bindery show. One of those beautiful early autumn evenings that blended heat and wonderful light from the west. Man, what a lovely evening.
Last time that I played within the space that holds the Bindery, it had been a kind of raw food court type deal; now, it seems as though this bookstore/performance space is getting well established. Walking in, I felt nice memories from seeing various Bay Area musicians. Most definitely a fine and talented group of people.
As for the music, I had decided to let the heat-mellowed energy of the day seep in to my playing, with a resolve to not rush and to just let our set unfold. Bindery booker James set up with a limit of 20-30 minutes' playing time, and after brief discussion, the members of M-KAT Ensemble decided to "just play", with no plan per se, so I figured it would help to slow the pace and give our set some time to unfold. Thankfully, I was able to calm my mind and indeed let things happen, savoring the sound of Jacob Felix Heule's sweetly tuned trap set, which he graciously allowed me to play. The energy levels eventually began to rise, and it seemed as though we got to some pretty good, interactive improvised spaces with it. The energy rose and fell with a good, relaxed pace. Loose but connected, I'd say.
I only wish that we could have played a bit longer! Here's to hoping for more M-KAT gigs soon.

Below: Thomas sets up; sweet funky traps
Above: Kersti's rig


No comments:

Post a Comment