Friday, January 5, 2018

Ruminations-Luggage Store Gallery, SF CA; 1/4/18

Before Ruminations launched into our Luggage Store set, and after a really inspiring set of solo drum machine magic from Matt Davignon, Rent Romus briefly commented that it's become a bit of a tradition that we play there early in the year; it seems as though that's true. Hard to believe that it's been four years since our first time playing as such!
We really did seem to launch, too. Rent, Christina Stanley, Tom Djill, and I got down to making Free Improvisation moves really quickly. Over three extended pieces, we hit the energy and volume levels pretty high. The second and third pieces seemed especially cool, with the former giving me some space for a brief solo and the latter having some boss primitivo flute and space actions. One factor in my playing was the words, read earlier of hero Poet Will Alexander. I was thinking about his ruminations as I ruminated at my kit. With them in my perceptions, I felt free to get down to expressing myself with energy and as much aplomb as I could muster. Within that zone, perhaps I may have overplayed a bit, but, what can I say? I was feeling the optimistic energies of the new year's possibilities. Why not kick 2018 off with a bang?
I was also really inspired to be sharing a sonic space with three really talented, heavyweight musicians; I wanted to push a bit, to up the sonic ante. Some great musical interactions happened! I just wish that we could have played a bit longer, but perhaps we put out enough sound for the small conclave of people that shared the Luggage Store's small second story performance space with us.
Hours later, I'm still buzzing from the Ruminations of the night!

Below: Rent and Tom set up; Ludwig kit with cowbell!


No comments:

Post a Comment