Thursday, July 11, 2019

Broken Whole-KZSU, Stanford CA; 7/10/19

When I pulled into Stanford yesterday evening, I feared the worst as regards traffic. There were a few events happening on the campus, and it seemed as though finding a parking spot would be a total nightmare. Happy to say that I just decided to let things happen, to not stress on outcomes. This decision served me well as I was able to just relax and find what turned out to be a pretty good spot, close by to KZSU.
Not stressing on outcomes also seemed to serve well for the music that Broken Whole played, at least from my chair. Mika Pontecorvo put together a score that definitely leaned towards a less is more approach, and I felt as though I was able to, for the most part, stick with those vibes, in large part by just letting things happen, and playing only when it seemed the right time to do so. Silence was often observed. Along with our guest, cellist Colleen Kelly T, Tim Orr, Mika, and I started pretty mellow and stayed that way, floating from passage to passage. Quite abstract. It felt to me at times like some futuristic Gagaku orchestra, slowly unwinding our sounds. As always, I felt very strong simpatico with Tim. It's such a pleasure to share drum dialogue with Mr. Orr.
Two pieces in total, one longer, one shorter. A fine time in Studio A of KZSU, and many thanks to their groovy staff!

Below: Colleen and Mika setting up; my trash drum kit for Broken Whole gigs






Above: video!

No comments:

Post a Comment