Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Early summer shows.....

I'm totally beat after last night's show and subsequent sleep deprived work day, so this will likely be short.....

Allen/Cohen/Pino Trio-Luggage Store Gallery, SF; 6/27/19
As usual, I was damned chuffed to get a chance to play with Josh Allen. I'm always learning from Josh's no b.s. approach to playing and presentation. Adding learned guitarist Alex Cohen to the mix just increased my stoke-age! After a killer set from Philip Everett and his Skullcrusher project, the three of us stepped on and proceeded to improvise. It was nice to be playing my "dream kit"; this kit that I used has the dimensions of drums and cymbals that I've always desired. It was definitely a high energy time, with good intensity and interaction. I never felt lost or insecure during our roughly forty minutes duration, probably a good sign of confidence. It was also really great to see some friends, along with a some foot traffic attendees. The room may have been a bit echo-ey from our playing, but feedback was generally positive. One guy walked up and said that we sounded like "Dizzy Gillespie crossed with Slayer"! Not bad!

Below: my lovely kit; Allen/Cohen/Pino Trio backlit (photo by and courtesy of Jessica (rhytmicallyperfect @ Instagram, thanks, Jessica!)







Crow Crash Radio-Make Out Room, SF; 7/1/19
July started off cool with Crow Crash Radio in the chilly evening air of the Mission. As usual, I had conversations about how great it is that the Make Out Room survives in the face of so much change in the Mission. Crow Crash played third, after great sounds from zen Dave Mihaly and the Bill Orcutt Bruce Ackley Duo. We had scripted out a pretty much continuously flowing set, with tuning breaks to be covered by Andrew and I doing drums/theremin duets. Things got pretty loopy pretty quickly, which was fine. It seemed as though everything flowed really well, with lots of dynamics and paces hit. Probably the most psychedelic that Crow Crash Radio has been all year. We were able to let things all hang out. Playing Mihaly's very weathered and lovely old kit, I had one of those "close my eyes and just play" kind of nights. The sort of experiences that keep one coming back to the odd pursuit of playing music in the Underground.

Below: drums with "weathered magic"

Above: video shot by Elisa Brasil, thanks, Elisa!
.....and sweet. Interesting gigs with Mika Pontecorvo coming up in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment