Monday, September 9, 2019

Aural Monsoon Trio-Bird & Beckett Books, SF; 9/8/19

Some gigs just really glow, and Aural Monsoon Trio certainly seemed to have that going on, at least from where I was sitting. It was really exciting, as usual, to hook up with word master and piano improvisor Will Alexander for a nice, deep dive into the out zones. My now long-time collaborator Andrew Joron joined us for the ride. Between Will's modal explorations of Bird & Beckett's upright piano, and Anrdrew's theremin drones, I felt totally free to explore my current favorite kit. That's definitely where said glow comes in for me. What a pleasure it is to use the drums and cymbals and gongs as expressions of what feels to me to be deeper emotions. I don't know if those feelings transmitted themselves to anyone else in the room, but they were present for me as we played a good, four piece set that lasted about 45-50 minutes. Aural Monsoon Trio got into some pretty heavy, at times spacious, at times whirling parts, and I loved every minute of it. Just such a great time. Hopefully we can cast more storms in the future.

Below: my drums and Will warming up


No comments:

Post a Comment